Memorial day is coming, meat is on sale everywhere.... grab your bbq and grill. This marinate works best overnight so it really has a chance to sink in. I had mine frozen for 3 1/2 months and then I defrosted it in the fridge for 2 days. It truly is a perfect make ahead lunch or dinner for summer.
In a large freezer bag combine:
- 1 1/2 lbs of chicken, boneless skinless breasts, pounded thinner or butterflied for even grilling
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning, no sugar (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup mild store bought salsa (or not so mild if you so prefer)
- 1 cup medium store bought chunky salsa
- 8 oz apricot jam
Creating Lunch &/Or Dinner:
1. Heat up the grill or bbq - throw these chicken breast halves on for approx 12-16 minutes total cooking time depending on the size of the chicken over medium heat.
2. Heat up some beans, grill some corn on the cob, or slice up watermelon to serve as side dishes
3. Half way through cooking time for the chicken, flip the chicken over, toast up the sandwich rolls on the grill or in the oven. Top the chicken with shredded mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup ea)
4. Slice up some tomatoes, slice one quarter avocado per person, shred some lettuce and put the sandwiches together. Dig in!
Note: If there are any extra chicken pieces they would be excellent the next day on a salad, or a wrap. This was the first time I made this make ahead chicken dish, but it will be a future staple in our household. Hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with yummy bbq food!
From my kitchen to yours!